Published 10:13 am Wednesday, January 3, 2018
Briefly told items may be emailed to email@example.com. Please keep brief. Announcements are published twice a week.
- Auburn University is partnering with the Circle of Care to evaluate two of their relationship education curricula. A couple that is selected to participate will attend six weekly classes and receive a free catered meal at each class with free childcare provided. Additionally, if the couple completes all surveys they will receive $600 over two years. Jan. 11, 2018 is the enrollment deadline so call Brad Thomas, 334-768-4091, to take advantage of this great opportunity.
- The Troup County Democratic Party will have its next meeting on Thursday, January 18th at 6:00 PM at the Griggs Recreation Center, 716 Glenn Robertson Drive, LaGrange.
- The Troup County Democratic Party will hold its annual Carter-Roosevelt Dinner on February 17th at 6:30 p.m. at Hillside Station, 625 Jefferson Street, LaGrange, Ga. For tickets and more information, please contact TroupDems@gmail.com. Tickets are $25 each.
- Bradshaw Library will host a Lunch N Learn on Jan. 12 beginning with lunch at 11:30 a.m. Dr. Elizabeth Woodworth from AUM will present “Sherlocked in the 21st Century: Why We’re Still Crushing on Sherlock Holmes” at noon. A lunch reservation is required by 2 p.m. on Jan 11. Call (334) 768-2161 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make your lunch reservation.
- Bradshaw Library will host a Lunch N Learn on Jan. 19 at 11:30 a.m. A talk, “The Tuskegee Airman Chronology,” will be presented by author Dan Halulman at noon. A lunch reservation is required by 2 p.m. on Jan 18. Call (334) 768-2161 or email email@example.com to make your lunch reservation.
- Lanett Athletic Booster Club wants to announce the winners of the Raffle Drawing. First place winner of $300 is Theresa Love. Second place winner of $150 is Desmond Flournoy. Third place winner of $50 is Calvin Atkinson. We want to thank everyone who participated.
- The Lanett Extension of Selma University will hold it’s 2nd Annual Scholarship Banquet on Jan. 7. The banquet will be held at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church in LaFayette, Ala. The guest speaker will be Rev. Frank Kennedy, Jr. from New Mt. Olive Baptist Church, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Tickets are on sale now by Pastor Stiggers and the students. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 a the door.
- The January meetings of the Chambers County Commission are set for Monday, Jan. 8 and Monday, Jan. 22. Commission meetings begin at 4 p.m. CST and are held in the Commission Chamber located at 2 South LaFayette Street in LaFayette, Ala.
- The Commission Offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 15 for MLK/Robert E. Lee Day.
- The winners of the Selma University drawing held on December 15, 2017 are Bruce Alford of LaGrange, first place; Deloris Taylor of Anniston, second place, and Marie Jones of Lanett, third place.
- A Continuing Education course in Korean Culture will be offered on Southern Union State Community College’s Valley Campus. The course will focus on Korean culture, traditions, communication, and conflict management. The class will meet on January 20, February 3, February 17, March 3, March 24, April 21, and May 5 from 10 to 11:45 a.m. EST. The cost will be $50 per student. Please contact Robin Brown at 334-756-4151 extension 5204 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain registration information.
- Dementia Support Group is offered through Chattahoochee Hospice on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. EST. Call 756-8043 for details.
- The Christian Service Center is open Mondays and Thursdays for food assistance from 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. To apply, you will need your current electric bill and a photo ID. The office is located at 5342 Cusseta Road, Lanett (in the Huguley community). Donations may be delivered during any of these hours.
- Chattahoochee Hospice offers monthly grief support groups on the first Thursday of each month, 1 p.m. EST at the office. Call 756-8043 for more information.
- The Interfaith Food Closet is open Monday 9-12, Wednesday 9-12, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Tuesday 1-4, and Thursday 1-4. You will need a driver’s license or photo ID and a current utility bill or a rent receipt if utilities are included with rent. The purpose of the Interfaith Food Closet is to help households with emergency food. We are supported by local foundations and 20 plus local congregations.
- The Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Program, located at 1220 Hogansville Road, Suite 400, LaGrange, provides services to help persons with disabilities obtain and maintain competitive employment. Persons with disabilities in Troup, Heard and Meriwether counties are served. For more information please call 706-298-7270 or call toll-free 844-367-4872.
- The Disabled American Veterans service officer will fill out claims by appointment. He can be reached to schedule an appointment at 334-663-1460.
- Huguley Sobriety Alcoholics Anonymous group meets every Thursday and Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Chattahoochee Valley Clubhouse, 501 South Fifth Ave., Lanett. Twenty-four-hour help line for those suffering from alcohol addiction, 334-476-1625 or 229-296-6045.
- Beulah Senior Center, located beside Beulah High School, offers activities such as Rook, Bingo, SkipBo, public education lunch, health promotion, aid, refreshments and daily exercise from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday for senior citizens 60 and older. Call Carolyn Davis, center manager, at 334-749-5928 for more information,
- Chambers County Schools – Closed, Christmas & New Years. Thursday Dec. 21, 2017 – Wednesday Jan. 3, 2018.
- Lanett City Schools – Closed, Christmas & New Years. Thursday Dec. 21, 2017 – Wednesday Jan. 3, 2018.
- Chambers Academy – Closed, Christmas & New Years. Monday, Dec. 18, 2017 – Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018.
- Springwood School – Closed, Christmas & New Years. Monday Dec. 18, 2017 – Wednesday Jan. 3, 2018.