Published 10:23 am Monday, January 15, 2018
Briefly told items may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please keep brief. Announcements are published twice
- The January meeting of the Chambers County 9-1-1/EMA Board will take place at 12:30 p.m. EST in the EMA conference room of the 9-1-1 building located at 3609 Veterans Memorial Parkway in the Huguley community.
- Due to Monday being the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, the Lanett City Council will not meet that day. The meeting has been rescheduled for 6 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 16.
- Bradshaw Library will host a Lunch N Learn on Jan. 19 at 11:30 a.m. A talk, “The Tuskegee Airmen Chronology,” will be presented by author Dan Haulman at noon. A lunch reservation is required by 2 p.m. on Jan 18. Call (334) 768-2161 or email email@example.com to make your lunch reservation.
- Chattahoochee Hospice will be hosting “The Journey of Grief” at Bradshaw-Chambers County Library in Valley at 6:30 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 30. Anyone who needs a little help or who wants a better understanding of grief is welcome to attend.
- Chambers County Library Travelers has seats available for a Stay-N-Play trip to attend a special presentation of To Kill a Mockingbird & a reception honoring the anniversary of Harper Lee’s birthday in Monroeville, Ala., on April 28-29. The cost is $165 (double rate). A non-refundable deposit of $40 is due by Jan 26 to reserve your space. Please call (334) 768-2161 or email conniebeilfuss@chambers countylibrary.org for more information.
- Chambers County Library Travelers has begun registration for a Stay-N-Play trip to visit The Ark Encounter & Creation Museum in Williamstown, Ky., on May 7-11. The cost is $550 (double rate). A non-refundable deposit of $50 is due by Feb. 28 to reserve your space. Please call (334) 768-2161 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The Lanett City Board of Education will hold its regular monthly meeting on Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. EST at the Lanett City Schools Administration Building in downtown Lanett.
- Free Lunch every Thursday at noon, with fellowship and good message from Pastor Chris Hodges of the Church of the Highlands (video telecast) from noon to 1 pm. At Unity of Faith Outreach, 801 South Jennings Avenue, Lanett, Ala. (former Junior Achievement Building then Vineyard Church in Lanett). All Welcome. (Lunch every week, but Clothes Closet only on 3rd Thursdays.)
- The Troup County Democratic Party will have its next meeting on Thursday, Jan.18 at 6 p.m. at the Griggs Recreation Center, 716 Glenn Robertson Drive, LaGrange.
- The Troup County Democratic Party will hold its annual Carter-Roosevelt Dinner on Feb. 17 at 6:30 p.m. at Hillside Station, 625 Jefferson Street, LaGrange, Ga. For tickets and more information, please contact TroupDems@gmail.com. Tickets are $25 each.
- The January meetings of the Chambers County Commission are set for Monday, Jan. 22. Commission meetings begin at 4 p.m. CST and are held in the Commission Chamber located at 2 South LaFayette Street in LaFayette, Ala.
- The Commission Offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 15 for MLK/Robert E. Lee Day.
- A Continuing Education course in Korean Culture will be offered on Southern Union’s Valley Campus. The course will focus on Korean culture, traditions, communication, and conflict management. The class will meet on Jan. 20, Feb. 3, Feb. 17, March 3, March 24, April 21 and May 5 from 10 to 11:45 a.m. EST. The cost will be $50 per student. Please contact Robin Brown at 334-756-4151 extension 5204 or email email@example.com to obtain registration information.
- A Dementia Support Group is offered through Chattahoochee Hospice on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. EST. Call 756-8043 for details.
- The Christian Service Center is open Mondays and Thursdays for food assistance from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. To apply, you will need your current electric bill and a photo ID. The office is located at 5342 Cusseta Road, Lanett (in the Huguley community). Donations may be delivered during any of these hours.
- Chattahoochee Hospice offers monthly grief support groups on the first Thursday of each month, 1 p.m. EST at the office. Call 756-8043 for more information.
- The Interfaith Food Closet is open Monday, 9 a.m. to noon; Wednesday, 9 a.m. to noon; 5:30-6:30 p.m., Tuesday 1-4, and Thursday 1-4. You will need a driver’s license or photo ID and a current utility bill or a rent receipt if utilities are included with rent. The purpose of the Interfaith Food Closet is to help households with emergency food. We are supported by local foundations and 20 plus local congregations.
- The Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Program, located at 1220 Hogansville Road, Suite 400, LaGrange, provides services to help persons with disabilities obtain and maintain competitive employment. Persons with disabilities in Troup, Heard and Meriwether counties are served. For more information please call 706-298-7270 or call toll-free 844-367-4872.
- The Disabled American Veterans service officer will fill out claims by appointment. He can be reached to schedule an appointment at 334-663-1460.
- Huguley Sobriety Alcoholics Anonymous group meets every Thursday and Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Chattahoochee Valley Clubhouse, 501 South Fifth Ave., Lanett. Twenty-four-hour help line for those suffering from alcohol addiction, 334-476-1625 or 229-296-6045.
- Beulah Senior Center, located beside Beulah High School, offers activities such as Rook, Bingo, SkipBo, public education lunch, health promotion, aid, refreshments and daily exercise from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday for senior citizens 60 and older. Call Carolyn Davis, center manager, at 334-749-5928 for more information.