Briefly Told items may be emailed to email@example.com. Please keep brief. Announcements are published twice.
- Fairfax Masonic Lodge No. 876 will meet Tuesday, Jan. 23, at 7 p.m. EST. All officers and members are asked to be present to make plans for upcoming projects such as the Selma bridge crossing on Sunday, March 4.
- Valley High School Combined Classes will meet at the Bradshaw-Chambers County Library in Valley at 4 p.m. EST on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018. Class representatives are urged to attend. The meeting is open to all graduates of Valley High School.
- The monthly meeting of the Chambers County Board of Education has been rescheduled to 4 p.m. CST on Wednesday, Jan. 24.
- The Bonner family reunion meeting will be held at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018 at the St. John Baptist Church in Lanett. The reunion will be taking place in Columbus, Ohio July 13-15, 2018. All family members and extended family are invited to attend.
- Chattahoochee Hospice will be hosting “The Journey of Grief” at Bradshaw-Chambers County Library in Valley at 6:30 p.m. EST on Tuesday, Jan. 30. Anyone who needs a little help or who wants a better understanding of grief is welcome to attend.
- Chambers County Library Travelers has seats available for a Stay-N-Play trip to attend a special presentation of To Kill a Mockingbird and a reception honoring the anniversary of Harper Lee’s birthday in Monroeville, Ala., on April 28-29. The cost is $165 (double rate). A non-refundable deposit of $40 is due by Jan. 26 to reserve your space. Please call (334) 768-2161 or email conniebeilfuss@chambers countylibrary.org for more information.
- Chambers County Library Travelers has begun registration for a Stay-N-Play trip to visit The Ark Encounter & Creation Museum in Williamstown, Ky., on May 7-11. The cost is $550 (double rate). A non-refundable deposit of $50 is due by Feb. 28 to reserve your space. Please call (334) 768-2161 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Free Lunch every Thursday at noon, with fellowship and good message from Pastor Chris Hodges of the Church of the Highlands (video telecast) from noon to 1 pm. at Unity of Faith Outreach, 801 South Jennings Ave., Lanett, Ala. (former Junior Achievement building then Vineyard Church in Lanett). All are welcome. (Lunch every week, but Clothes Closet only on the third Thursday of the month).
- A Continuing Education course in Korean Culture will be offered on Southern Union’s Valley Campus. The course will focus on Korean culture, traditions, communication and conflict management. The class will meet on Feb. 3, Feb. 17, March 3, March 24, April 21 and May 5 from 10 to 11:45 a.m. EST. The cost will be $50 per student. Please contact Robin Brown at 334-756-4151 extension 5204 or email email@example.com to obtain registration information.
- A Dementia Support Group is offered through Chattahoochee Hospice. Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. EST. Call 756-8043 for details.
- The Christian Service Center is open Mondays and Thursdays for food assistance from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. To apply, you will need your current electric bill and a photo ID. The office is located at 5342 Cusseta Road, Lanett (in the Huguley community). Donations may be delivered during any of these hours.
- Chattahoochee Hospice offers monthly grief support groups on the first Thursday of each month, 1 p.m. EST at the office. Call 756-8043 for more information.
- The Interfaith Food Closet is open Monday, 9 a.m. to noon; Wednesday, 9 a.m. to noon; 5:30-6:30 p.m., Tuesday 1-4, and Thursday 1-4. You will need a driver’s license or photo ID and a current utility bill or a rent receipt if utilities are included with rent. The purpose of the Interfaith Food Closet is to help households with emergency food. We are supported by local foundations and 20 plus local congregations.
- The Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Program, located at 1220 Hogansville Road, Suite 400, LaGrange, provides services to help persons with disabilities obtain and maintain competitive employment. Persons with disabilities in Troup, Heard and Meriwether counties are served. For more information please call 706-298-7270 or call toll-free 844-367-4872.
- The Disabled American Veterans service officer will fill out claims by appointment. He can be reached to schedule an appointment at 334-663-1460.
- The Lanett Extension of Selma University will hold it’s 2nd Annual Scholarship Banquet on Jan. 27. The banquet will be held at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church in LaFayette, Ala. The guest speaker will be Rev. Frank Kennedy, Jr. from New Mt. Olive Baptist Church, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Tickets are on sale now by Pastor Stiggers and the students. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 a the door.
- Huguley Sobriety Alcoholics Anonymous group meets every Thursday and Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Chattahoochee Valley Clubhouse, 501 South Fifth Ave., Lanett. There’s a 24-hour help line for those suffering from alcohol addiction: 334-476-1625 or 229-296-6045.
- Beulah Senior Center, located beside Beulah High School, offers activities such as rook, bingo, SkipBo, public education, lunch, health promotion, aid, refreshments and daily exercise from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday for senior citizens 60 and older. Call Carolyn Davis, center manager, at 334-749-5928 for more information.