West Point Rotary Club holds first 2018 meeting
Published 10:05 am Monday, January 15, 2018
WEST POINT — The West Point Rotary Club met this past Thursday for its first meeting of 2018.
The meeting was held as Springwood School with a tour given by Rick Johnson of the newly renovated Springwood International Residence Hall facility.
Ann Hixon who serves as the Director of Admissions for the Springwood International program provided information about Springwood’s innovative initiative into this realm of education program. Then a brief tour of the facility was taken.
Email newsletter signup
President Debbie also announced the following directors and chairs for the 2017-18 Rotary year: RYLA, Elinor Crowder; High School Valedictorian Scholarship, Dr. Kelli Hodge; Walt Meadows Golf Tournament, Jody Elmore; Grant, this year to Lifesavers, Elinor Crowder, Debbie Kelley; Partners night, family picnic, Girls Ranch, Debbie Kelley; Yarn Spinner, Debbie Kelley (due to lack of volunteer); Veterans recognition, Valley Haven Appreciation Day, Sergeant At Arms, Greg Duffey; Greeters, Al Hammer, Monroe Smith, Elinor Crowder; Weekly Program Chair, Bill Gladden; Attendance Secretary, Foundation, Wayne Scroggs; Treasurer, Carolyn Lott; Secretary, Marshall Sapp; President-elect, Gus Darden; and New Member Drive Committee, Monroe Smith.
In other action:
- President Debbie announced that on Feb. 15 the meeting will be held at Chattabrewchee Southern Brewhouse. Mike Denehy, a new member and owner, will be giving facts on brewing beer.
- The Feb. 22 meeting will be at the Sportsplex on Feb. 21, Wednesday, for a Lunch and Learn hosted by the City of Valley, where Mayor Leonard Riley will be speaking on the happenings in Valley.
- Kelley stated the group are in desperate need for a PN for 2019-20 year. She asked that someone take it into consideration to volunteer. A suggestion by President Debbie was Craig Brown. Craig is going to consider it and let them know.
- Cy Wood and Carly Byrd resigned.
- Happy dollars were given by Carolyn Lott and Marshall Sapp, no weekly drawing.
- DG Pat Keating emailed that he will be gracing the next meeting at the Hampton. Rob Huling has the program, which is an update from the Executive Director from the Greater Valley Chamber of Commerce, Ashley Crane.