Published 11:00 am Thursday, February 22, 2018
Briefly Told items may be emailed to email@example.com.
• Girl Scouts from the West Point area have started cookie sales in J. Smith Lanier II Park in downtown West Point. Girls from Troop 18069 will be there, rain or shine, from 4 to 6 p.m. every Friday through March 16.
• The Lanett High School Class of 1978 will have a reunion meeting at 5 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 24, at San Marcos. For more information, contact Benita Gunnells at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email newsletter signup
• The Valley City Council will have a work session at 6 p.m. EST on Thursday, Feb. 22. The public is invited.
• The 2nd Annual K.I.N.G.’s Mother-Son Banquet will take place Saturday, Feb. 24 from 5-7 p.m. at the Virginia Cook Building, 800 MLK Drive, West Point, Ga. Donations are welcome.
• A Valley Bridal Show will be presented by Gator Media and the Hampton Inn on Sunday, Feb. 25, from 1-4 p.m. Free admission and door prizes.
• Life South Community Blood Center, Inc. will have some blood drives in the local area. From noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 24, EST, the bloodmobile will be at Valley Walmart and at LaFayette Heights Baptist Church in LaFayette from 4 to 7 p.m. CST on Feb. 24. From 10 a.m. till 2 p.m. EST, it will be at Valley Park Manor in Valley.
• The Chambers County Commission Rules, Ways and Means Committee will meet at 2 p.m. CST on Monday, Feb. 26. The Human Resources Committee will meet at 2:45 p.m. on the same day. Both meetings will take place in the Commission office, located in the Courthouse in downtown LaFayette.
• The Chambers County ADC will meet at 6 p.m. EST on Thursday, Feb. 22 at Goodsell United Methodist Church in Lanett.
• The Lanier High School Historical Society will be hosting an afternoon tea on Sunday, March 4 from 4-6 p.m. EST at 1302 North Cherry Drive in Lanett. Join former faculty and students in recalling the good old days. Find your school photo in the photo gallery. We are looking for donations to the Society. We are looking for old yearbooks, band instruments, athletic uniforms, early 1900s textbooks or school trophies.
• Chambers County Library Travelers has open registration for an excursion to the Springer Opera House in Columbus Ga. to attend West Side Story on March 16. The cost is $40 and includes motor-coach transportation. The registration deadline is March 5. Please call (334) 768-2161 or email email@example.com for more information.
• Chambers County Library Travelers has begun registration for a Stay-N-Play trip to visit The Ark Encounter & Creation Museum in Williamstown, Ky., on May 7-11. The cost is $550 (double rate). A non-refundable deposit of $50 is due by Feb. 28 to reserve your space. Please call (334) 768-2161 for more information.
•Horseshoe Bend National Military Park will host the 204th Anniversary of the Battle of the Horseshoe on Saturday, March 24, 2018. This annual event recreates traditional Creek Indian life, frontier life in the year 1814 and emphasizes the importance of the battle in United States history through a variety of special demonstrations and interpretive programs. Saturday’s activities will provide park visitors with a better understanding of Southeastern American Indian life in this area 200 years ago as well as provide insight into the reasons the battle occurred.