Man charged with murder in death of Georgia professor

Published 3:19 pm Tuesday, May 14, 2019

By Kate Brumback
The Associated Press

ATLANTA (AP) — A man has been charged with murder and other crimes in the death of a University of Georgia professor at a central Georgia home where authorities say the homeowner apparently killed himself after investigators arrived.

Sydney Clark Heindel, 69, called 911 around 1 a.m. Sunday to report that a woman had been under water in the hot tub at his home in Milledgeville for a minute or two and was unresponsive, according to a Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

Email newsletter signup

When deputies arrived, they found Marianne Clopton Shockley, 43, naked and unresponsive on the pool deck bleeding heavily from a head injury. Heindel and “another nude male subject,” identified as 41-year-old Marcus Allen Lillard, were performing CPR on Shockley.

Lillard told deputies Shockley was his girlfriend.

Shockley had no pulse and emergency medical personnel declared her dead shortly after arriving, the incident report says.

Shockley was a professor of entomology at the University of Georgia.

“On behalf of the university, I’d like to express our deepest sympathy to the family, students and colleagues of Dr. Marianne Shockley,” university spokesman Greg Trevor said in an email.

Lillard said he had been in the woods for about 15 minutes gathering firewood and when he returned he noticed Shockley “passed out” in the hot tub, the report says. The deputy noted in his report that there was already a large pile of firewood near the firepit by the pool and that it seemed odd to be gathering more because it had been raining heavily earlier in the day.

When Shockley didn’t respond, Lillard picked her up from the hot tub, jumped in the pool, swam her to the other side and set her on the pool deck, Lillard told deputies. Lillard said he fell while carrying Shockley and that’s how her head was injured.

Heindel said he was at the other end of the pool swimming while Shockley was in the hot tub and that when Lillard returned from the woods and found Shockley unresponsive, they pulled her out and started doing CPR, the report says. Shockley appeared to be breathing faintly, Heindel said, so they assumed she was regaining consciousness and didn’t call 911 until about 45 minutes later.

Deputies called a detective and separated Lillard and Heindel, with Lillard in the back of a patrol car and Heindel on his front porch.

Deputies found a pair of glasses on the pool deck with what appeared to be blood next to them on the concrete. They also found two spots in the grass just off the pool deck that appeared to be blood soaked and found a woman’s bracelet nearby in the grass.

When a deputy went to ask Heindel a question, he found that Heindel was no longer on the porch. As the deputy knocked on the screen door and called Heindel’s name, he heard a “loud but muffled noise,” the report says.

Deputies entered the home and found Heindel inside the master bathroom dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, the report says.

Lillard was taken to the sheriff’s office for further investigation. The sheriff’s office and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Monday afternoon that Lillard had been arrested on charges of murder, aggravated assault and concealing the death of another.