David Anthony Pike pleads guilty in federal court; still faces murder charges in Chambers County from 1985

Published 8:00 pm Thursday, September 12, 2019

PUERTO RICO — A man wanted in Chambers County for a 1985 murder pleaded guilty to federal charges Thursday in the U.S. District Court of the District of Puerto Rico.

According to court documents, David Anthony Pike, 57, pleaded guilty to aggravated identity theft before Judge Carmen C. Cerezo in federal court.

A sentencing hearing has been set for 1:45 p.m. on Dec. 17 in federal court.

Email newsletter signup

Pike was originally charged with false statement of the application of a passport, mail fraud, misuse of a social security number, aggravated identity theft and making a false statement or representation to a department or agency of the U.S.

According to court documents, Pike’s plea deal drops all charges except for the aggravated identity theft.

In January, Pike was arrested in Puerto Rico after a criminal complaint was filed in San Juan, Puerto Rico against an individual claiming to be Stephen Williams Varner, which was an alias used by Pike.

The complaint stemmed from inconsistencies on the U.S. Passport renewal form, which revealed a death record for Varner, who died at 22 years old in Alabama. Several agencies learned of Pike’s true identity and learned he was a wanted fugitive on capital murder charges in Chambers County for the 1985 murder Calvin Lee Irvin.

In July, Pike informed the court of his intention to plead guilty to the federal charges.

Chambers County Sheriff Sid Lockhart said he was happy to see Pike pleaded guilty.

“I am glad that he plead guilty and I’ll be glad when we can start the process of getting him back to Chambers County to stand trial,” he said.

On June 22, 1985, the body of a white male was discovered on Chambers County Road 84 just outside of LaFayette. The Chambers County Sheriff’s Office responded and learned it was Calvin Irvin who had been shot.

According to previous reporting by The Valley Times-News, investigators developed Pike and King Albert Mayes as suspects and murder arrest warrants were obtained. After the two men were arrested, Pike made bond, but before being indicted, he fled the area.

Mayes pled guilty and served out a term in prison.

Lockhart said previously that investigators had been searching for Pike for the past 34 years until he was arrested in January under operation “Sweet Home Alabama.”