One more arrested for selling alcohol to minors in Chambers County
Published 8:00 pm Monday, January 6, 2020
LaFAYETTE — The Chambers County Sheriff’s Office made one additional arrest as part of “Operations New Year’s Resolution,” Friday afternoon.
At about 1 p.m., the sheriff’s office conducted compliance checks of 16 stores in Chambers County while investigating businesses for selling alcohol to minors.
The Friday investigation resulted in the arrest of one clerk. Jennifer Whitlow, 42, of LaFayette was arrested for selling alcohol to a minor at the Marathon located at 301 9th Ave. SW in LaFayette.
Email newsletter signup
On Dec. 31, at about 7 p.m., deputies traveled to nine stores to perform compliance checks as part of the same operation.
The investigation resulted in the arrest of five clerks after they sold alcohol to the sheriff’s department’s employee who was under the age of 21.
The five clerks who are charged include:
- Din Mohammad, 39, of Lanett, who was working at Big Cat Fuels, 3006 South Phillips Road in Lanett;
- Rodgerick D. Swanson, 31, of Cusseta, working at the Circle K store, located at 588 Fob James Drive in Valley;
- Shirmiracle Y. Mackey, 27, of Lanett, working at the Marathon store, located at 2310 South Broad Avenue in Lanett;
- Guy L. Thompson, 65, of Roanoke, working at Welch Super Service, 32300 Highway 431 in Roanoke; and
- Chaudhry N. Mehmood, 61, of LaFayette, working at the Sunoco station, Veterans Memorial Parkway in LaFayette.
Chambers County Sheriff’s Major T.J. Wood said each person charged was observed selling alcoholic beverages to underage customers without asking to see identification.
According to a news release by the sheriff’s department, Sheriff Sid Lockhart said similar compliance checks would continue in the future.