Valley boys upset Lanett 68-60 in overtime on senior night

Published 8:00 am Saturday, February 1, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

With less than 10 seconds left in regulation, Valley junior forward Quez Trammell collected an offensive rebound and laid the ball into the basket to force overtime in Friday’s game against Lanett.

As overtime started, pandemonium broke loose as a fan was escorted out of the game, causing a 10-minute delay in the action. The delay didn’t stop the Rams’ momentum, as they were able to take control of the game throughout the overtime period, winning 68-60. 

“It was just an emotional game,” Valley head coach Marshon Harper said. “A lot of things have happened from the summer into this point right here. Us losing some kids who went to Lanett, that started for us for a couple of years. My kids rallied together and just played as a team.”

Email newsletter signup

Valley guard Kallen Sherrell was the difference-maker in the five-minute overtime. The junior went to the free-throw line six times, drilling all six.

To force overtime, the Rams needed to overcome a nine-point deficit with five minutes left in the game. 

The key to fighting back into the game was defense. Valley played the final quarter of regulation in a 2-3 zone, with the two players pushed up a little farther to limit a 3-point shot. 

“We know [Kentavious Dozier] is the shooter, so we just pushed up on him a little bit and let the big guy catch the ball. He never dribbled toward the goal,” Harper said. “They like to penetrate, kick and shoot, so we just tried to belly up on their shooter and limiting them to one shot.”

Throughout the course of a two-minute span, the Rams went on a 7-1 run, closing the gap to just three. During the run, Demarice Farrow, who had knocked down a pair of 3-pointers in the first quarter, drilled a pair of shots behind the arc. 

With 25 seconds left in the game, Valley trailed by just two. Junior guard K.D. Hutchinson drove to the basket, hitting a layup, but just before the ball left his hand, Harper called timeout. 

“They just told me we weren’t going to lose,” Harper said. “When I called that timeout, they told me that we’re not going to lose this game. They played their tails off at the end of the game.”

To start the game, the Rams started off hot from the perimeter, as they were able to hit three 3-point shots. Lanett wouldn’t be outdone though, as the Panthers used their height inside to score. At the end of the first quarter, Valley led 24-20.

The second quarter was almost the complete opposite of the first, as both teams struggled to score, finishing with 10 points between the two teams. 

Just as they did in the first matchup this season, Lanett started the second half hot. Four different Panthers hit two shots, while they were able to limit the Rams’ offense to 11 points. 

Sherrell finished with 15 points for the Rams, while Dozier scored 18 for the Panthers.

The Panthers will host their area tournament starting Feb. 4, while the Rams are in action on Saturday when they travel to LaFayette for their season finale.