COVID-19 forces strict visitor restrictions at EAMC-Lanier
Published 5:53 pm Thursday, March 12, 2020
As the COVID-19 coronavirus continues to spread throughout the U.S. and has caused the cancellation of many regional and national events, East Alabama Medical Center (EAMC) is taking unprecedented steps to protect its patients and residents, as well as its staff, volunteers and physicians.
Effective Friday, March 13, East Alabama Medical Center will be implementing and strictly enforcing the following visitor restrictions from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. daily. These restrictions were announced in a Thursday afternoon press release and will remain in place until further notice.
4Only one person per patient will be allowed for patients in the following areas:
Email newsletter signup
4EAMC and EAMC-Lanier patient rooms (overnight stays)
4 EAMC and EAMC-Lanier Emergency Departments
4EAMC and EAMC-Lanier elective procedures (outpatient surgeries, colonoscopies, diagnostic tests, etc.)
4EAMC Skilled Nursing Facility
4 EAMC-Lanier Nursing Home
4Oak Park Nursing Home
4 Spencer Cancer Center
• All persons are subject to a screening consisting of a temperature check and questions regarding any symptoms associated with COVID-19.
• Other visitors, including clergy members, will not be permitted. Exceptions may be granted in certain extreme situations, but routine visits will not be allowed.
“This is a very unusual time in our lives and that’s why we are taking these unprecedented measures to keep our patients and caregivers safe from this coronavirus,” said Laura Grill, EAMC’s President and CEO. “I’m proud of the way our staff and physicians have accepted this difficult challenge and are making every effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community.”
The hospital recommended ways to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus:
1. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
2. Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your sleeve.
3. Avoid touching your hands to your mouth, nose or eyes.
4. Practice social distancing…keep your distance from other individuals, especially if they are exhibiting any of the following symptoms: fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing.
5. Stay home and isolate yourself if you have a fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing.